Combined elements of the Philippine Army and the Philippine National Police foiled bomb plot on the urban centers in Sultan Kudarat after seizing “Anti- Personnel Mines” and
Triggering devices in Damakling Village around 5:00am on Saturday (January 12, 2019).
The 33rd Infantry (Makabayan) Battalion led by Lieutenant Colonel Harold M. Cabunoc, orchestrated counter-terrorist operations after learning about the presence of bombs in the remote village of Pagalad.
“Our informant showed us the pictures of terrorist bombers Ustadz Yasser Saligan and his cohort, Sheik Makakena a.k.a. Abu Jihad as they detonated a bomb to test its lethality. We had been tracking the suspects since November 2018,” said LtC Cabunoc.
Under the cover of darkness, the combined elements of the 33rd Infantry Battalion, 4th Special Action Battalion, Criminal Investigation and Detection Group-ARMM and Maguindanao Provincial Police Office, swooped down on the known terrorist lair at around 3:00am of January 12.
The raiding teams collared five persons who were caught off-guard of the presence of heavily armed soldiers and SAF commandos. The troops seized four “Anti-Personnel Mines” and three Caliber .45 M1911AI Pistol from the suspects.
The primary suspects, Abu Jihad and Ustadz Yasser, eluded arrest by jumping into the murky water of the Liguasan Marsh upon sensing the presence of the government troops.
“Our operating troops are conducting pursuit operations to capture Jihad and Yasser,” said Lieutenant General Arnel B. Dela Vega, commander of the Western Mindanao Command.
“I commend the troops of the Joint Task Force Central for their unfaltering campaign against terrorism in Central Mindanao,” he added.