Abu Sayyaf fighters are left worn out by the relentless offensives being launched by military forces in Sulu since Saturday, May 25.
Brigadier General Divino Rey Pabayo, Jr., Joint Task Force Sulu Commander, said the spate of operations being launched since last week caused massive casualties on evading terrorists.
At 5:35pm on May 25, four Abu Sayyaf militants died and six more incurred wounds in the 30-minute deliberate operation of soldiers from 13th Special Forces Company targeting the group of Mundi Sawadjaan in Barangay Igasan, Patikul.
Two more terrorists died and one more incurred wound in the successive operation of the 13SFC troops in Barangay Igasan at 5:55pm on the same day.
Operating forces saw how Abu Sayyaf militants carried their casualties while they extricated the area of engagement.
Soldiers from 5th Scout Ranger Battalion also engaged Sawadjaan’s group in a separate offensive in Barangay Sandah, Patikul at 3:30pm on May 27.
A militant died and four incurred wounds in the 30-minute gunfight Monday afternoon.
Meanwhile, government troops recovered back packs of the enemies and pursued Abu Sayyaf fighters.
Yesterday, at 3:35pm, 5SRB troops ferociously fought 15 Abu Sayyaf members under Sawadjaan in Barangay Buhanginan.
At 4pm yesterday, forces under 14th Scout Ranger Company clashed anew with 40 enemies in said barangay.
Soldiers saw blood stains in the engagement site, indicating casualties suffered by the enemies during the encounter.
Military troops further blocked possible withdrawal routes and airlifted one soldier with slight wounds to Camp Navarro General Hospital in Zamboanga City at 9:32pm yesterday, March 28.
Lieutenant General Arnel Dela Vega, Western Mindanao Command chief, said, “JTF Sulu troops intensify their campaign of hunting and running down Abu Sayyaf terrorists through sustained operations, intelligence build-up, and cooperation with the Suluanons on the ground.”
“These actions will be furthered to defeat terrorism by eliminating the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu.”